Theme(s): Health, Religion, Education, Construction and Architecture
Folder Title: St. Basile: Convent, exterior
Date: September 1947
Description: Hotel Dieu Saint Joseph, seen here, is located at 429 Principale Street, in Saint-Basile. The west wing of the building, which was built between 1885 and 1889, served as an orphanage, a boarding school, a school and monastery for the nuns until 1915. On the ground floor were the kitchen and dining hall. On the first floor were four classrooms. The Nuns of the Congregation of the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph lived on the second floor and the dormatories were on the third floor. The exterior wood verandahs were added in 1893.
Creator: Studio Laporte
Collaborator(s): Sister Bertille Beaulieu, r.h.s.j.
Source: Cdem Studio Laporte Funds